Passport Application Tips for Children

So you’re finally ready to travel internationally with your child?

Regardless of age, all children need a passport to travel outside of the US. Kids under the age of 16 apply for a Child’s Passport.

Items Needed: 1. Completed DS-11 Form (can be found online) 2. One 2×2 passport photo 3. Evidence of child’s U.S. citizenship(birth certificate etc) 4. Evidence of relationship between child and parent(s)/guardian(s) (Birth certificate) 5. Parent/guardian(s) identification and photocopy of identification 6. Provide parental consent 7. Application fee

Passport Photo You can get a passport photo at most Pharmacy & Retail stores such as CVS, Walgreens, Sams, Walmart, etc. These places provide two photos and charge anywhere from $6.99-$12.99.

The easiest way to take an infants passport photo is to have them in their car seat. Be sure to cover the car seat with a plain white sheet before placing the child in it in order for the passport photo to be valid. You can also have them lay flat on top of a white sheet but no other person can be in the photo. It is ok if an infants eyes, particularly newborns, are entirely or not all the way open. Make sure their hair is not covering your childs face either.

Evidence of Child’s U.S. Citizenship

· U.S. birth certificate (Most commonly used)

· Certificate of Citizenship

Evidence of Relationship Between Child and Parent(s)/Guardian(s)

· U.S. birth certificate

· Consular Report of Birth Abroad

· Foreign birth certificate

· Adoption Decree

· Divorce/Custody Decree

These documents MUST be originals or certified copies

Parental Consent Passport applications for children under 16 must be submitted in person at an authorized passport acceptance facility and BOTH parents must be with the child. If both parents cannot be present a parental consent form must be filled out and notarized on behalf of the absent parent. In addition, you need to provide a photocopy of the front and back of their ID.

Present ID and Provide Photocopy of ID The parents/guardians must present one of the following:

· In-state, fully-valid driver’s license

· Valid or expired, undamaged, U.S. passport

· Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

· Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)

· U.S. military ID or military dependent ID

You must also submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present to the acceptance agent.

Where to Apply

Click on the following link to search the Passport office closest to you

Application Fee Unlike an adults passport that is valid for 10 years a child’s passport is only good for 5 years. The fee is only $80 compared to an adult passport that costs $110. In addition to the $80 fee, there is a $35 execution fee.

187 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All